Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Don't Be Afraid To Take Risks - By Suzanne Schwartzberg

Children, especially in America, are pressured since the age of 4 or 5 to decide what they will do with themselves when they are 21 or 22. We spend our young days playing house or dressing up as a policeman or as a teacher. And suddenly that day arrives when we are no longer playing house or playing doctor (although we did bring back those games in college), but we are forced to actually pay bills, find an apartment and become a young professional.

Most college students would say this day arrives way too quickly. I certainly did. I picked my major based on my highest grades, friendliest people, and the most engaging presentation. I did not take classes that I felt might negatively affect my GPA or those that were outside of my comfort level.

When people asked what I was planning to do with my English major the answered spanned from becoming a journalist (Freshman year), becoming an elementary school teacher (Sophomore year), becoming a travel book writer (after my Junior year semester abroad), or going into public relations (Senior year). Each year I tried out these careers by writing for the school newspaper, by volunteering with children, or by interning at a Public Relations Firm. Every time I experimented with a career, I always yearned for the passion I had heard about. The passion that woke you up at 6 am to go to work, and especially the satisfaction/fulfillment at night when you recapped your day as you crawled into bed.

But, I spent four years of college not finding it. Therefore, upon graduation as everyone discussed what now? I figured I'd go with my most recent public relation career plan even though I did not enjoy my internship. I went on many interviews in the city and never received a job offer. So I asked myself why? The reason was the interviewer could tell I was not really interested in their company or in the position (I never was a good liar). And yes, I could eventually have gotten a job in public relations and taking the route I had spent four years preparing for. But I did not want to do something just because it was predictable or comfortable.

So I did something very out of my character. I took a major risk. I packed my bags and moved from NY to Miami Beach, Florida. Yes, I had suffered blizzards long enough! All my friends thought I was crazy to be moving to retired land so soon. My parents of course concerned for my financial well being, did not like my leaving with no solid job offer or career plan in site.

I moved in with a relative that lived two hours north of Miami gave myself two motivating days at the beach, and woke up everyday to drive all the way to Miami and back, I researched what the top industries were in Florida, and of course came across tourism and hospitality. I went from door to door (or in this case hotel to hotel) with my resume, in the hopes someone would not throw it at the bottom of their pile. I researched what the top industries were in Florida, and of course came across tourism and hospitality. Then, just as Miami was heating up as the sun went down, I had to leave to drive the two hours back, although all I wanted to do was stay put. I was offered a few positions and eventually accepted one at a Marriott oceanfront hotel.
Things were not easy at first. I missed my college friends like crazy and found that it is not as easy to meet people in the “real world”. My hours were very different than my other fellow graduates, and I would wander the beach calling everyone in my cell phone book. They would call me after 5pm, and I would be working. I had to stay with friend of my siblings that lived down here sleeping on their couches and not having a place to my own for two months. And now, I am an assistant while friends of mine that majored in hospitality are assistant managers. But I will get there eventually. And I am not the only one.

A friend of mine spent all four years of college studying accounting. I spent many year of college trying to persuade myself to major in business, as well, because it was the “smart choice” instead of the interesting choice that my English major was. Everyone from my parents to my older siblings to my floormates told me so. After one year of working at a very prestigious accounting firm and hating the Monday through Friday rat race with a passion, she decided to move to England (where we had studied abroad together) to start graduate school there for journalism. She has never been happier and I have never admired her as much.
After working at the front desk for eight months, I was promoted to the sales department and am working toward being an event manager. I never dreamed that one could get paid to help plan events, make people happier on their vacations, and to glance out at the ocean. Of course working in a hotel is a lot more than that, but I would not be living in south beach or be working in such a beautiful hotel if I had not taken a chance.

Do not feel that you have to have your whole life figured out at 21. I have heard a statistic that people change their careers at an average of seven times in their lifetimes. Now I don't know how true this statistic is, but I myself have changed my mind four times and I am only 24. Do not allow yourself to believe that just because you can no longer go out every night of the week or sleep till noon that your life is set in stone. Your spontaneous days are far from over. Feel free to change your major, transfer schools, take that class you think will never help you in the real world, apply for those jobs you think you aren't qualified for or ones that can't really exist (my favorite was the chocolate promoter/tester). You never know it may just be the one that gives you the life you have always dreamed.

After spending four years studying in snowy upstate NY, Suzanne decided to change her path and move closer to the sun. After graduating she changed career fields and restarted in Miami Beach, Florida. She currently enjoys working in a hotel, playing host to her college roomates, and going to the beach in her spare time.

No comments: