Sunday, November 05, 2006

What Are You Waiting For? - By Daniel Sitter

What are you waiting for? Statistically, we have an average life expectancy of just 75-80 years. Depending upon your current age and perspective, those figures may either seem like forever or the end may feel rather eminent. Whatever your age, or position on your life’s storyboard, there are seldom enough years to satisfy us. We always want more time. The paradox here is that we also believe that we have more than enough time to procrastinate, to tackle things later. We have a long list of topics that we want to accomplish, however, in the absence of an action plan we actually seldom succeed in accomplishing many of them.

So...What are you waiting for? How many persons when facing their own death will say "if only I" something. Yes, life is short. James 4:14 states that our lifetime is "but a vapor that appears for a little while then vanishes away." We obviously have little time to waste. We need to take immediate action and stay busy.

"I'll start exercising tomorrow evening, Lost is on TV tonight." How often do we say something similar to that? Are you wasting your life away as a couch potato? Television offers little real, intrinsic benefit to any of us in the long run. In fact, it may be one of your biggest obstacles and time consumers. What else is standing in your way? What is causing you to remain static? What holds you back? You simply do not have enough time to keep saying "someday I will." Someday must become today. Decide now to formulate a plan, take action and pursue your dreams today. You may not have tomorrow.

Do any of the following dreams and related excuses sound familiar, or are they all too familiar?

• I would love to learn to play the guitar. I have always wanted to.



• If only I could travel, it would make me so happy.



• I feel so sluggish. If only I was younger, I would join a gym and get in shape.



• I have too much work to do. I'll play with the kids next weekend.



• One of these days, I am going to plant that garden I have always wanted.



• Someday when I am able to, I want to help the homeless in my community.



• I never have liked the color of my kitchen. I wish I could just re-paint it.



• Joe and I have not spoken in 15 years. It really breaks my heart.



• Somebody should do something about the speed limit in our neighborhood



• I would like to learn Spanish, but I am too old to learn anything new.

Can you state any real, convincing reasons as to why you are unable make any of the above kinds of dreams a reality? Life is too short. It passes-by quickly. Do not squander it? Do not live a life of regret. Do not set yourself up for punishment later saying "if only I had…"

Get busy and remain active. Make things happen. Learn new skills. Become a player, not a spectator. Live life to the fullest and find new adventures everyday. Find the joy in what you do. This new paradigm, this change of thought will jump-start your happiness, your career, your relationships and every other facet of your being. What more compelling reasons are there?

Daniel Sitter, author of both the popular e-book, Learning For Profit, and the highly anticipated book, Superior Selling Skills, has extensive experience in sales, training, marketing and personal development over a successful 25 year career. http://www.learningforprofit.com/ Read his blog http://ideaseller.typepad.com/

No comments: