Thursday, July 12, 2018

All I Need For My Philosophy and Creed

"To live as gently as I can; To be, no matter where, a man;
To take what comes of good or ill, And cling to faith and honor still;
To do my best, and let that stand the record of my brain and hand; And then, should failure come to me, Still work and hope for victory.
To have no secret place wherein; I stoop unseen to shame or sin;
To be the same when I’m alone; As when my every deed is known.
To live undaunted, unafraid of any step that I have made;
To be without pretense or shame; Exactly what men think I am.
To leave some simple mark behind;
To keep my having lived in mind, If enmity to aught I show,
To be an honest, generous foe,
To play my little part, nor whine; That greater honours are not mine.
This, I believe, is all I need for my philosophy and creed."

-- Edgar A. Guest

No comments: