Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Positive Comments that Motivate You More - By Josh Stone

I've always believed in giving positive feedback whenever someone accomplishes something or performs a job well done. Do you know someone who has a fitness goal? Did they lose weight/pack on muscle and achieve their personal goals successfully?

If yes, then it would be good if you tell that person so! Depending on what they've achieved, tell them that they look good/have lost weight/are looking healthier, etc. We all know it isnt easy to shape up!

Even if it may be a stranger at the gym, positive comments always help - it further motivates and reassures that person that what they've been striving for all this while has not gone to waste. Wouldn't you feel good if someone came up to you and said something nice? I know I'm normally on top of the world when someone says something nice about me!

On the other hand, negative comments should be handled more carefully. Only if you know the person really really well enough - only then would it be okay for you to tell them if they look like they've strayed from their fitness goals or else you'll only be asking to be hit on the face.

For a little amusement and reading pleasure, below are some of the comments I've personally received - before (when I used to be in bad shape 6 - 7 years ago) and after (now).

Before

1. Those love handles look awful man

2. What are those??

3. What's happened to you? Why don't you exercise? Look at me, I'm healthy (points to his biceps which I swear resembled ping-pong balls)

4. You better do something about your weight or you'll develop health complications when you're older

5. I can do 5 push-ups - how many can you do?

6. Fatso

7. You look like an overweight girl

After

1. Why did you lose all that weight? (stupid comment coming from the same person who said i needed to lose weight.. what a moron)

2. Hey, which gym do you go to?

3. Mentioned to my mom : Wow, you've got such a handsome son! Heh heh ;)

4. Your arms are huge! (actually they're not la but most people especially the women think so *hint hint*)

5. How much is the cover charge? (Got mistaken for a club bouncer cos I was standing with arms folded at the entrance - but honestly I'm nowhere cllose to being that big)

6. Are you on steroids?

7. Oh God! Why are you boiling so many eggs?

Indeed there's a huge contrast between the two. And now, where I am today, looking back - all I can do is smile at the awful comments I used to get.

And guys... just one more thing about giving comments - the least you can do is be honest about them! Don't tell a girl she's lost weight unless she really has. There are other times and ways to pull-off a corny pick-up line.

Josh Stone, also known as DM, is the author behind the site http://www.dailymuscle.com which offers the author's personal views on real-life fitness, bodybuilding, sports nutrition, cardio, fat loss, training information, and on all things that surrounds fitness.

No comments: