Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Dive In - By Jim Gustafson

I learned to swim at the YMCA. I have crystal clear recall of my first
"tadpole" class. I remember coming out of the pool with my nose running,
skin itching, and eyes blazing red from the environmental wasteland that was
the YMCA pool. That pool contained 80% chemicals, 15% water and 5% other
which I choose not to think about.

The house in which I live came with a swimming pool in the backyard. I am
not proud to have a pool. I find it to be a rather large inconvenience. It
gives pleasure to visiting dignitaries (a.k.a. grandchildren), relatives and
friends. Beyond that, its waters rarely experience submerged flesh. There
is a natural law that requires a swimming pool to be ready for swimming at
ever moment. Accordingly, the chemistry must be balanced to keep the water
pure. The pump must be going to circulate the water and avoid stagnation.
The filter must be cleaned to properly filter, I guess.

Based on the YMCA "tadpole traumas" of my youth, I have always had a
professional pool care company maintain my pool. Among my greatest fears is
awakening to find my pool has turned to slimy inky goo. So when I recently
discovered greenish brown staining on the sides and bottom of my pool, I
phoned the pool company. They made an extra call, gave an extra treatment,
and sent an extra bill. The stains continued to grow as did my slimy goo
fears. I continued to express my concern to the pool company, but there was
no apparent action. The stains continued to increase, my nightmare was
reoccurring.

It was time to take matters into my own hands. I went to a do-it-yourself
pool store. They test water, sell chemicals, and give advice. I described
my situation to the pool guy. He calmly walked over to the shelf, handed me
a bottle of stuff. "Throw this stuff in your pool. Run the pump for 24
hours. That will be $17.87." I did as he said. 24 hours later I waited
for sunlight. When it came, my pool was crystal clear. No words could
express my joy.

I have now taken over the care and maintenance of my swimming pool. It is
clean and clear. Almost as important is the lesson I relearned. We are
better off when we dive straight into our fears, than when we work to avoid
them. The price of avoidance is much higher than the cost of confrontation.
Lessons as clean and clear as my pool.

Dive In!

http://www.jimgustafson.com

No comments: