Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tight Lips Float Ships! - By Dr. Gary S. Goodman

I was doing some self-study of real estate principles when the wizened trainer said: “Never talk to anyone at a test!”

He went on to say everyone has cheap and wrong advice to offer; especially serial flunkies who “know what they’re talking about” because they’ve had to sit for the exam several times.

His remark represents a bedrock truth.

It isn’t our anxiety about our performances that is nearly as handicapping as letting other people’s wacko ideas and runaway fears seep into our hearts and minds.

How many eager and well prepared people hesitate to boldly go after their dreams because a well meaning parent, mate, or pal has deterred them by regaling them with their horror stories, or other people's near-misses with doom?

I’ve known for as long as I can remember that it is smart to keep your deepest wishes and new initiatives an utter secret from everyone, except those that are in a position to help you to make them come true.

Sadly, most folks that aren’t involved will only slow you down or razz you out of your pursuits.

When I was going to law school, I told no one in my extended family and I kept it a secret from each and every one of my clients and prospects. Believe me, there were times when I heard some “civilians” popping off inaccurately about one legal concept or another and I had to bite my tongue.

I was unique at graduation, because I accelerated my studies and passed the bar exam and was an official attorney by the time we donned our caps and gowns. It was only then that I mentioned my investment in this area to my relatives.

Time and again, when I’ve been consulting, I’ve been in the presence of defensive clients who attack new ideas and methods, not because they’re convinced they, or their advocates are faulty. They’re so utterly afraid that a failure could devastate them that they try to infect you with their “disease.”

So, the next time you’re about to do something significant don’t blab about it.

Remember the words of that smart guy, William Shakespeare, who suggested, and I paraphrase:

To all lend your ear, but lend your tongue to few.

Or, to put it in positive terms: Tight lips float ships!

Best-selling author of 12 books and more than 1,000 articles, Dr. Gary S. Goodman is considered "The Gold Standard" in negotiation, sales development, customer service, and telephone effectiveness. Top-rated as a speaker, seminar leader, and consultant, his clients extend across the globe and the organizational spectrum, from the Fortune 1000 to small businesses. He can be reached at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

No comments: