Monday, June 18, 2007

Risking Everything - By Tommy Yan

The movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape takes place in a small sleepy town of Endora with the storyline built around a poor, fatherless, dysfunctional family. While you may be familiar with Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mary Steenburgen and Juliette Lewis, the star who stole my heart was Darlene Cates. She played Momma, a former beauty queen who, because of circumstances, became a 500-pound recluse who had given up on life—except for eating, sleeping and channel surfing.

She had little purpose in life and would rather be dead than seen in public. One day, her "slow" son (DiCaprio) was put in jail for climbing the water tower for the umpteenth time. The Sheriff had had enough and made good on his promise of arrest after looking the other direction since the first incident.

Momma was worried to death about her son suffering in a cold cell. Unfamiliar with his surroundings, he might scream and sob all night or inflict self-injury. This time she knew nothing else would get her son out except a face-to-face confrontation with the law.

Of course, she did a lot of soul-searching...

This meant facing embarrassment, shame and humiliation. This meant people stopping to stare, kids pointing and laughing, townsfolk gossiping, heckling and telling fat jokes. This meant risking everything she valued in life to get her boy back.

Gilbert (Depp) drove the family to the courthouse steps. Momma got out the car and with her walking cane, made a staggered beeline to the Sheriff's office. She screamed the Sheriff's name and demanded for her son. When the sheriff made an excuse about police procedure she screamed even louder, "My son! Give me my son!"

The office staff was quite invisible at this moment. Their codes, policies and procedures didn't prepare them for matters of the heart. They cowered beneath the undying love of an angry mother.

Momma wouldn't take no for an answer. This caught everyone, including her family, by surprise. With the guts and determination Momma showed, the sheriff had no choice but to give her what she wanted. There wasn't a braver soul in Endora.

Momma risked everything to get her son back. There was no other alternative. There was no other choice. She had to conquer her inner demons.

Have you ever taken any risks?

I don't mean gambling your paycheck away at poker, driving 85 miles-per-hour on a 65 miles-per-hour highway, or eating fast food every day. I'm talking about serenading your sweetheart when you can't hit a note, going up against your boss and his gang of "Yes Men" in a company meeting, or jumping out of an airplane for the first time in your life. You know, the stuff that really matters. The stuff that causes you to stretch and makes something of you.

Imagine you had to do something you're uncomfortable at, or perhaps it was your first time...

For me that would be swimming. I've been in the pool a few times during high school and even took some lessons, but don't ask me to rescue your drowning cat. The closest you would ever find me to a pool is when I'm in the Jacuzzi.

But couldn't I become an adequate swimmer if I had enough practice? What if I hired a swim coach? Couldn't I get comfortable in the water then?

Definitely. With enough practice anyone can get good at anything within reason. It centers on possibilities and your beliefs in what you can or cannot do.

If I were to take swimming lessons at the YMCA, I'd look rather silly because I'd be surrounded by children who'd probably laugh at me. But wouldn't the shame and humiliation be worth it if I saved someone from drowning some day?

Tommy Yan helps business owners and entrepreneurs make more money through direct response marketing. He publishes Tommy's Tease weekly e-zine to inspire people to succeed in business and personal growth. Get your free subscription today at www.TommyYan.com.

No comments: