Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How Fast Can Your Subconscious Run 3 Miles? - By Gordon Bryan

This article is about one of the most powerful, yet underused ability we have as humans - training our subconscious mind.

To celebrate passing the age of 40, I decided to train for and run my first marathon.
I did the research and found a training programme for beginners which seemed to suit me, and began my training.

Being as unfit as I was, it took me a long time to get into the swing of things, but after a while found myself settling into a pace of covering a mile in 12 minutes.

This is my marathon pace, and I have been able to sustain it up to 14 miles in training as I write.

For my shorter midweek runs of 3 miles, I work harder to increase my strength, and my 3 mile time of 36 minutes gradually began to creep down.

I soon began to accept that I could do 3 miles in that time with ease, and that's where my point comes in, my subconscious mind accepted it, and so I was able to achieve it, consistently.

As it came down under 32 minutes, my thoughts turned to the 30 minute barrier.
In the course of marathon training, that 3 mile training time has little relevance, but it was a good mark to aim for.

The time came under 32, then under 31, and I go to the stage where I was actively trying to get under 30.
Towards the end of the run, I looked at the stopwatch, and was putting in sprints to try and do it.

I was falling just short until one day I managed, with a sprint, to get under 30 minutes for the first time.

It put a smile on my face that day!

The next 3-miler I did, I wasn't trying to get under 30, and did a little bit over, but it's the next session that drove the point home.
Again, I was running with the target in mind, but when I go to the end, I noticed I had again gone under 30 minutes.

Once more, my subconscious has now accepted this as something I can do, so if I have to, I can pull it out of the bag.
In time with further training, it will become common for me to get under that time, in fact getting under 29 minutes will start to appear in view.

Can you see how this can be related to the area of goal achievement, success, motivation?

We all train our subconscious minds all the time, it's just that most of the time we don't realise it.
If we decide to deliberately tap into this feature of our brains, the results we can achieve are amazing!

You may or may not be training for a marathon, but I'll ask you in whatever area you choose of your life, make the comparison, and how fast can your subconscious run 3 miles?

Gordon Bryan is the author of 'Transform Your Life in 21 Days!' which has been described as 'motivational magic.'
Read about it and grab his free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan at:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

No comments: