Sunday, September 24, 2006

Want a New Beginning - Get on the Big Yellow School Bus - By Lesley Moore

It was the first day of school, filled with excitement and anxiousness, plenty of rituals and then…lots of “unexpected” moments. No matter how many times we had done this day, with new sneakers, new backpacks and new cool clothes, no one ever seemed to grow tired of it. We once again awoke with smiles on our faces, the yearning for a hug and the hope of ignoring the nervousness in our bellies.

I had been teaching for 14 years and had been getting my sons ready for their first day of school for nearly 10 years. Yet no matter how many times we'd been here before, the moment that the big yellow bus arrived, was when all the comforts of what we “knew” were clearly out the window.

Who will I sit with? How long will the drive be? What will the teacher be like? Will I know anyone in class? Will she give a lot of homework? Will I remember anything I learned last year?

Those variables were enough to send anyone over the top, yet those very same variables, also offered hope. Upon seeing the bus, I thought: Wouldn’t it be great if we could each start our year off with a big yellow school bus?

The bus was so much more than mere transportation to school. It created an energy and spirit that lead into the day itself. It created the path to so many new and exciting events and people. It was a ride that lead to the unknown, yet still left you with a sense of hope about what was still to come.

What if each year we could begin with that big yellow bus? With the renewed hope of finding new friends, making new connections, and learning all new things? The renewed hope that lead to the promise of getting older. Not the fear of aging, but an excitement of life and what each passing year had to offer. Each year, something bigger and better.

As I watched my children walk to their prospective busses, feeling envious of their day ahead, I also went to begin my new year at school. But this time, instead of dreading the chaos that was associated with the first day in class, I got into my black Acura and pretended that it was my big yellow bus…leading me to a brand new year, with new friends, new connections, a possibility of learning something I didn’t already know and the hope that this year would be the best one yet.

I drove away with a smile on my face, because after all, those things could be waiting for me at the end of my bus ride too!

Lesley Moore is President and Owner of LifeScope, Life and Executive Coaching. She is also a co-author in the book: 101 Great Ways to Improve Your Life. She specializes in working with individuals in transition, empowering them to create a life they love and with professionals to help them bridge the gap between expectation and performance. She is also a Personal Fitness Trainer and a Freelance Writer. Lesley graduated from the University of Maryland with a degree in Journalism and has studied coaching through the Mentor Coach Program, which is recognized by the International Coach Federation. For more information about Life and Executive Coaching, visit her website at http://www.LifeScopeCoach.com or e-mail her at lessmore4@comcast.net.

No comments: